Thursday 17 July 2014

Battersea love

After a much needed lie in on Sunday, there was only one thing on mine and Richard's to-do list  for the day: to go out for brunch at Birdhouse in Clapham Junction. Having gone on and on (with the help of Rosie) about Birdhouse's banana bread and general greatness, I created pretty high expectations for the place, so Richard was keen to give the place a try.

Following our late start, the "brunch" was so late in the afternoon, it was really a lunch. Precisely because of that fact, however, we didn't have much of a wait for a table. Along with my latte, I had a slow-cooked egg with polenta chips, toast and cured ham with red pepper "mayo". The main reason behind my choice was the polenta chips which is not something I've heard of before. Although the polenta chips were cooked in quite a bit of oil and tasted a little greasy and the eggs were not quite cooked enough, the meal was generally quite nice; I was glad I tried it; it was quite unique. Richard had a chicken sandwich which he seemed to love. After all the savoury food, we (of course) ordered some banana bread, along with some mocha for Richard (which may be his new addiction) and some very strong espresso for me which took me back to our Rome trip.
After far too much food (and drink), not wanting to go back home nor venture out too far into the city, we decided to take a trip to Battersea Park. Being in my own little world, I was a little oblivious to Battersea Park and didn't have high expectations for the place but given that it was close and in the same area as the Battersea Dogs & Cats home, I agreed to go, adding a visit to see the animals on the to-do list. When Richard said "this is a bad idea" to me insisting on going to the Dogs & Cats Home, he was right. Whilst not being a cat person, I have always wanted to have my own little dog and a trip to look at some, with their sad, sullen eyes that say "Love Me", I was pulling sad and happy faces the whole time and wanted to take them all home with me (and made Richard promise to get me one, some time in the near future: this is now officially in writing, on my blog for the world to see). Having seen all the little, big, cute and scary dogs, we eventually left to go to the park. And what a park it was...
I am sure the beautiful, sunny weather helped but Battersea Park is gorgeous and I fell in love with it a little. It is so vast, has beautiful fountains, quiet areas, grass, sports facilities and gives the general feeling of having escaped the city. It is perfect and may be my new favourite London park (no mean feat)! We mostly walked around the park (with me pulling pouting faces at Richard every time I saw a cute dog: that was a regular occurance).
Yes it's a temple. In a park. In London. 
Having eventually returned home, we went to play some tennis, getting back just in time for a quick shower and the start of the World Cup Final, which thankfully ended just as I'd hoped.

A rather lovely Sunday, if you ask me.

Night

Muah

Roo xx


No comments:

Post a Comment